The Truth About Homeowner Equity
A recent article from a reputable news source was titled: Here’s why some homeowners still can’t sell. In the opening bullets of the article, the author claimed, “Negative equity is one of the main reasons why there are so few homes for sale.” The article then goes on to soften that stance but we want to bring better clarity to the equity situation.
A recent report from CoreLogic (which was quoted in the article) revealed that over 80% of all homes now have “significant equity,” which means the home has over 20% equity. That level of equity allows the homeowner to sell their home if they so desire. (There was no reference to significant equity in the article.)
If eight out of ten homeowners now have significant equity in their homes, it is hard to make the claim that lack of equity is “one of the main reasons why there are so few homes for sale.”
Here is a map showing the percentage of homes in each state which currently have significant equity:
If you are one of many homeowners who is debating selling your home and are wondering how much equity you have accumulated, contact a local real estate professional who can help you determine if now is the time to list.
- 10 Things Your Competitors Can Teach You About Real Estate
- Why You Shouldn’t Take Your House Off the Market During the Holidays
- Existing Home Sales Surge Through The Holidays
- Homeowner’s Net Worth Is 45x Greater Than A Renter’s
- Top 5 Reasons You Should Not For Sale By Owner
- How To Prepare Your Home For Hurricane Season
- How Homeowners Celebrate This Hot, New Trend
- Time to File Florida Homestead Exemption!
- 6 Seemingly Innocent Habits That Are Hurting Your Health
- Are You Getting the Home Tax Deductions You’re Entitled To?
- What Would a Millennial Baby Boom Mean for Housing?
- 8 Questions to Ask Yourself to Help You Declutter
- Stop making excuses and clean up the clutter in your home!
- 5 Things Your Home Appraiser Wishes You Knew
- Are You 1 of the 59 Million Planning to Buy This Year?
- 3 Questions to Ask If You Want to Buy Your Dream Home